Sunday, December 2, 2012

"Ballerina" by Universal Pottery, Inc.



The “Melody” series, “Vogue” line, and the “Forecast” line are all tableware sets that were designed by a company known as Universal Potteries. For collectors of vintage tableware sets, Universal has a lot to choose from, I personally was gravitated toward the “Ballerina” series. Because I’m a dance teacher and studio owner I felt it was most fitting.

                                              Ballerina Pitcher, Photo courtesy Jennifer
In early 1934 Universal Potteries was formed from the consolidation of the Atlas-Globe China Company and Oxford Pottery Companies located in Cambridge, Ohio. But it was not until 1949 when they introduced the highly successful dinnerware line “Ballerina.” This line was created by designer Alf Robson. From looking at old advertisement’s we can see that it was available in “modern sets.” You could choose to purchase from a variety of sets such as a “16 piece Barbecue Set” which consisted of 8 casseroles and 8 coffee mugs, “17 piece Beverage Set” which had 1 ice lipped pitcher 8 tumblers and 8 coasters, “18 piece After Dinner Coffee Service” which had 1 after dinner coffee server with lid, 8 after dinner cups/saucers, and lastly the “18 piece Tea Set” which consisted of 1 covered teapot, 8 tea cups and saucers. 
                                     Cup and saucer from the Ballerina line, Photo courtesy Jennifer

Another line, that some are not as familiar with is Universal’s “Ballerina Kitchenware.” This line was a more simplified style which was introduced in 1954. Within this set you could purchase a variety of mixing bowls, salad sets, grease jar with lid, salt and pepper shakers, ice lip jug, teapot, refrigerator dishes, and more.
I hope you have enjoyed this post and photos about one of my favorite items to collect! 

For more information and credit to sources in this post click here! 

6 comments:

  1. Those are such gorgeous pieces! The details on them are spectacular. That is really cool that you are a dance teacher. I did pointe in high school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! Yes I love being a dance teacher. How did you get started in Pointe?

      Delete
  2. I think these pieces are very beautiful! I love the details on them. They look very elegant.I wonderful how much they cost. It looks like you would have to pay a lot for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! I have not really paid much for mine. The pitcher shown above came in a box with some other Ballerina ware that I paid $7 for. When I looked some of it up online most is going for $30-$50. So I'm over-all pleased with my investment.

      Delete
  3. These look exactly like some of the dishes my grandma has on a shelf in her dining room! I will have to ask her if that's what these are. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily that's fun that you kinda recognize them. Be sure to ask her if that's what they are :)

      Delete