Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fisher-Price Toys; Enjoyed and shared by generations!


Though I am an adult I still have a childlike soft spot in my heart when it comes to Fisher-Price toys. Growing up my brothers and I would spend hours playing with all our toys many from the Fisher-Price toy line. Now I collect them not only because of their value but because of the fond memories they bring back from a wonderful childhood.  
                      Fisher-Price Musical Ferris Wheel, Photo courtesy Jennifer
  
The Fisher-Price company was founded in 1930 by Herman Fisher, Irving Price, wife Margaret Evans Price, and a silent partner Helen Schelle. As you can see the company’s name was developed by combining two of the three last names. Intrinsic play value, ingenuity, strong construction, good value for the money, and action was Fisher-Price’s fundamental toy-making principles. Unlike the plastic toys developed in the 1950s, early toys were made of heavy steel parts and ponderosa pine which held up well to heavy use. In addition lithographic labels were applied to add colorful details and charm.  

In 1931 Fisher-Price became a huge success when its three founders took sixteen of their wooden toys to the “American International Toy Fair” in New York City. In addition 1931 was the year Fisher-Price produced its infamous toy by the name “Dr. Doodle” which was also the first Fisher-Price toy ever sold. As I already noted above it wasn’t until the 1950s when Fisher-Price began marketing toys made of plastic. The “Buzzy Bee” was the first toy to make use of plastic material. Later in the 1960s the “Play Family” also known as “Little People” line was produced and was highly popular. This was the start of the line of products that I remember playing with as a child, which included people and animal figures as well as a house, farm, school, garage, and vehicles. 
               Fisher-Price "Sesame Street" play set, Photo courtesy Jennifer

At the age of 71, Herman Fisher retired in 1969 and that same year Fisher-Price was bought out by Quaker Oats Company. However that was not the end of Fisher-Price, in 1991 the toy company regained their independence from Quaker Oats and became a publicly traded company. Following later in 1993 Fisher-Price became a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel and by 1997 Mattel had decided to market all of its preschool products under the Fisher-Price name.   

Since the early 1930s Fisher-Price has created approximately 5,000 different toys. Other brands marketed under the Fisher-Price name include Disney, Sesame Street, Barney, Dora the Explorer and See’n Say. Unlike many companies that have since such their doors, Fisher-Price has grown to be one of the world’s most well know toy companies and these vintage toys and antique toys are some of the most sought after among antique toy collectors. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVED Fisher Price toys when I was a kid. I had some of my own, but also some that my parents used as kids. We plan on saving them for when me and my siblings eventually have children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember playing with these toys! That's great that they are a collectable items now. That's crazy how old this company is. Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily me too!! Same here I have many toys that were my own but also played with several that were my parents. I think it's great to save them and pass them onto your children some day. I will definitely be doing the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara, I know what you mean, this company's history does date farther back then most people realize.

    ReplyDelete